|President's Inaugural Statement
Mariano Anderle, Paris, September 2013
I am deeply honored to be allowed to serve as President of the International Union for Vacuum Science Technique and Application (IUVSTA) for the triennium 2013-2016. Let me thank all of you for entrusting me with this great responsibility. My first contact with the IUVSTA organization was, as Councilor for Italy, at the ECM 83 Meeting in Saillon les Bains (CH), February 20-22, 1999. In all these years I saw enthusiasm, cooperation, a continuous flourishing of initiatives and major advances in the positive strength of the Union. Today I want to assure you that I will do my best to give continuity to this process and to bring IUVSTA to its full potential.
I intend to work and operate to realize the IUVSTA mission using the experience I have acquired in these fifteen years as Councilor for Italy (1998-2004), Vice-chair of the Applied Surface Science Division (2001-2004), Alternate Councilor (2004-2007), Chair of the Congress Planning Committee (2006-2007), Chair of the Biomaterials Interface Steering Committee (2008-2010), Technical and Scientific Director (2007-2010) and, as President Elect, Chair of the Long Range Planning Committee. I will focus my efforts on different aspects of scientific and organizing issues. In particular I will:
1. Give visibility and structure to new and emerging scientific topics and communities. Noteworthy among them are those at the edge of a division or several divisions e.g. biotech, energy, bio/nanophotonics, etc, or those dealing with large infrastructures such as synchrotrons, FEL, Fusion, NSS, etc. The key will be to properly select the tools (working group, interdivisional group or new division) and the rules to give the opportunity for these initiatives to grow within our Union. We have just ended the triennium with two important results: the establishment of the ninth IUVSTA Division, The Biointerfaces Division, and the set-up by the ECM of a Working Group on “Future Directions on Science and Technology”. I will closely work with the LRPC Chair and the Scientific and Technical Director and support them in enlarging IUVSTA representation in new scientific fields.
2. Continue in the direction of focusing needs and offering solutions to Non Member and Lesser Developed Countries through strong action in establishing contacts and organizing events (workshops, schools, TTCs, etc.). I will carefully consider, together with the Emerging Societies Committee chair, new forms of interaction and agreement to facilitate the relationship with non-member or lesser developed countries. The path we began and the experience we will gain in the International Vacuum Institute initiative with the Pakistan Vacuum Society can be a good reference point! Let me say I am considering very promising and strategic the fact we have a new member, Argentina, among us. I hope and Iam sure we will be able in the next triennium, to add other member societies!
3. Improve our scientific and educational offering by investing more money and encouraging better quality. Workshops and schools on one hand and training courses on the other are of vital importance for every national vacuum society! The Scientific and Technical Directorate and the Education Committee will be the right bodies in which to discuss, exchange experiences and promote good scientific, technical and education events and meetings.
4. Dedicate still more effort to our website, finally transforming it in a portal with proper tools for enlarging our visibility and relationships (connection to social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn; opened to multimedia standard web 2, etc.). In this last triennium a great improvement has already been made in this direction. I will strongly support the Publication Committee and its chair to complete this path.
5. Promote actions for awards and scholarship policy. The IUVSTA Prizes, both in Science and in Technology, are well recognized awards, milestones at every International Vacuum Conference. The Welch Scholarship is a tradition in promoting education by the Union and the World Transfer Program is a new promising education initiative launched in this last triennium. To maintain them and possibly to establish new others we need to find new donors. I will work in close cooperation with the ASC and its chair to fulfill this commitment.
All these “intentions” and the consequent actions have to face financial considerations. The difficulties of the world economy and the stock market limit our trajectory to a conservative budget. Nevertheless the Finance Committee and the Treasurer will try to give sufficient flexibility to the annual budget to satisfy possible new opportunities.
Let me take the opportunity to thank Prof. Jean Jacques Pireaux, my predecessor, for his dedication to the IUSTA aim and for his untiring activity for making IUVSTA more interactive and effective. Thanks to all the officers, councilors, divisions and committee chairs. Thanks to Ron Reid who today, after nine years, passed the testimony of Secretary General to Christoph Eisenmenger-Sittner. I have very much benefited from his experience! All I know about IUVSTA rules, procedures and organization, I learned from him. I would like also to express my deep thankfulness to Bill Rogers, IUVSTA Past President. He asked me to substitute for Massimo Sancrotti as chair of the Congress Planning Committee when Massimo had to step back because of his illness and he appointed me Scientific and Technical Director. Thanks for offering to me all these fascinating opportunities. And now we have to focus attention on the work for the new triennium. As a music conductor needs the coordinated contribution of each performer, I am kindly asking all of you to actively join me in this challenging adventure. On my side I can promise that IUVSTA will be, for the next three years, my top priority! Thank you!
|Executive Council Meetings|
|Meetings and Conferences|
|Planned IUVSTA conferences 2016-2020|
|Workshops and Schools|
77th IUVSTA Workshop
"Surface processes, gas dynamic and vacuum technology of cryogenic vacuum systems" 17-21 August 2016 Fuefuki, Japan