On this page you will find publications or links to pages with publications that pertain to IUVSTA. Publications include News Bulletins, History of IUVSTA, History of Member Societies, Education Materials, and the IUVSTA Brochure.
There are multiple publications on the History of IUVSTA and History of Member Societies which can be found on the History page.
Items found on this page include Publications associated with IUVSTA, News Bulletins published twice a year (June and December), and Technical References, such as periodic tables, yield charts, unit calculators, etc.
- Review Paper on “Recent advances in vacuum sciences and applications”
- 2018 Critical Review “Recent developments in surface science and engineering, thin films, nanoscience, biomaterials, plasma science, and vacuum technology”
- 2014 Critical Review “Recent advances in vacuum sciences and applications”
No. 1 – 140 of the news bulletin were published by “old fashioned” printing. The last issue, No. 140, covered the period Nov 1996 to Jan 1997. The issue number series has continued in the new electronic version “IUVSTA NEWS BULLETIN” available here.
period of discontinued bulletins
**** The News Bulletin was discontinued for the period 2008-2010 ****
- Databases and charts
- Vapor Pressure charts
- Sputter Yield charts
- Periodic Tables
- http://www.webelements.com/ – includes a wide range of data including on compounds and presents information in several languages.
- http://www.chemicool.com/ – includes some unit calculators as well as the periodic table data and other useful connections.
- http://www.aip.org/avsguide/refguide/ – avs reference guide
- Scattering cross sections: theory based scattering cross sections for electrons in solids (Ioffe Institute, St Petersburg, Russia)
- NIST databases (Gaithersburg, USA)
- Crystallography data: includes rotatable images, list of atomic locations and many other useful pieces of information (Naval Research Laboratory, USA)
- Photon and Electron Interaction Data. Databases: Photon Interaction Data; Atomic Relaxation Data; Electron Interaction Data; Excitation Data; Photon Anomalous Scattering Factors
- Databases and charts
- Useful links
- AVS Technical Resources
- Synchrotron Light in a Nutshell
- Photoelectron Spectromicroscopy and Coherent X-Ray Microscopy
- Studies of magnetic nanostructures, complex materials, and buried interfaces using synchrotron radiation spectroscopy, diffraction and holoraphy
- Applications of Nanoscience and Technology – Basics
- Fusion: the way ahead. The recent decision to build the world’s largest fusion experiment – ITER – in France has focused the interest to fusion research. The article describes the Joint European Torus in the UK and its role in development of a successfully operating ITER.
- The Electron Beam Ion Trap (EBIT) facility of NIST. Introduction and applications for research.
- Useful links
Textbooks on Vacuum Science
Prepared by B R Kendall
104 Davey Laboratory
Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802
- Original bibliography prepared January 1987
- Update No. 1, September 1990
- Update No. 2, April 1991
- Update No. 3, November 1996
- Update No. 4, October 2003
A. TEXTBOOKS ON VACUUM SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 1922-2003
B. ANTIQUE BOOKS
C. MAJOR BIBLIOGRAPHIES
are in chronological order according to year of publication.
- In a few
cases, very extensive (>50 page) general reviews are included.
- In general,
monographs such as the AVS series are not listed.
Proceedings are not included.
editions are listed separately only if there are major revisions or
changes in title.
from M Hablanian, D Santeler, B Dayton and others are gratefully acknowledged.
dealing with applications of vacuum technology (Thin Films, Freeze Drying,
etc) are not included.
is indebted to Prof Kendall for permission to reproduce this bibliography.
We would be grateful to receive additions,
or corrections, to these lists, taking note of the comments in the
© 1997 B.R. Kendall and IUVSTA
TEXTBOOKS ON VACUUM SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, part 1
Prepared by B R Kendall
Pennsylvania State University1. Entries are in chronological order according to year of publication.
2. In a few cases, very extensive (>50 page) general reviews are included.
3. In general, monographs such as the AVS series are not listed.
4. Conference Proceedings are not included.
5. Multiple editions are listed separately only if there are major revisions
or changes in title.
6. Contributions from M Hablanian, D Santeler, B Dayton and others are
7. Textbooks dealing with applications of vacuum technology (Thin Films,
Freeze Drying, etc) are not included.
1. S Dushman, Production and Measurement of High Vacuum, General Electric,
New York, 1922.
2. L Dunoyer, La Technique du Vide, published by Journal de Physique,
[English Translation by J H Smith, Van Nostrand, Princeton, N.JJ., 1926
and by Bell, London, 1926.]
3. F H Newman, The Production and Measurement of Low Pressures, Benn,
4. A Goetz, Physik und Technik des Hochvakuums, F Vieweg and Son, Braunschweig,
5. G W C Kaye, High Vacua, Longmans, Green and Co., NY, 1927.
6. M Knudsen, Kinetic Theory of Gases, Wiley, New York, 1934. Second Edition,
1946; Third Edition, 1950. [There is evidence of an early version of this
book having been published in London in 1916.]
7. L B Loeb, The Kinetic Theory of Gases, Second Edition, McGraw-Hill,
New York, 1934.
8. W Espe and M Knoll, Werkstoffkunde der Vakuumtechnik, Springer, Berlin,
9. J J Jeans, An Introduction to the Kinetic Theory of Gases, Cambridge
University Press, London, 1940.
10. J Yarwood, High Vacuum Technique, Chapman and Hall, London. Editions
1-3, 1943, 1945, 1955. Fourth Revised Edition 1967.
11. C M Van Atta, The Design of High Vacuum Systems and the Application
of Kinney High Vacuum Pumps, Kinney Manufacturing Division, New York Air
Brake Co., Boston, 1945; revised 1955.
12. Swami Jnanananda, High Vacua, Van Nostrand Co, New York, 1947.
13. L H Martin and R D Hill, A Manual of Vacuum Practice, University of
Melbourne Press, 1947.
14. K R Spangenberg, Vacuum Tubes, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1948.
15. S Dushman, The Scientific Foundations of Vacuum Techniques, Wiley,
New York, 1949, [First Edition].
16. A Guthrie an R K Wakerling, Vacuum Equipment and Techniques, McGraw-Hill,
New York, 1949.
17. L Dunoyer, Le Vide et ses Applications, Paris, Presse Universitaires
de France, 1950.
18. E L Holland-Merten, Handbuch der Vakuumtechnik, (Second Edition) Knapp,
19. R Jaeckel, Kleinste Drucke: ihre Messung und Erzeugung, Springer-Verlag,
20. M Knudsen, Kinetic Theory of Gases: some modern aspects, Methuen,
London; Wiley, New York, 1950, [Third Edition of Kinetic Theory of Gases].
21. W H Kohl, Materials Technology for Electron Tubes, Reinhold, N. Y.,
22. A L Reimann, Vacuum Techniques, Chapman and Hall, London, 1952.
23. L Zobac, Zaklady Vakuove Techniky, (in Czech), Statni Nakladtelstvi
Technicke Literatury, Prague, 1954.
24. V A Lanis and L E Levina, Practical Bases of Vacuum, Gosenergoisdat,
25. H Laporte, Vacuum Measurement, (in German), VEB Verlag, Berlin, 1955.
26. M Von Ardenne, Tabellen der Elektronenphysik, Ionenphysik und †bermikroskopie,
VEB Deutscher Verlag der Wissenschaften, Berlin, 1956.
27. G N Patterson, Molecular Flow of Gases, Wiley, NY 1956.
28. V S Danilin, Vacuum Pumps and Systems, Tocenergoisdat, Moscow, 1957.
29. Ya. Groschkovsky, Technology of High Vacuum, Isdat Innoctr. Lit.,
30. J H Leck, Pressure Measurement in Vacuum Systems, Chapman and Hall,
London, 1957, Second Edition 1964.
31. D Alpert, Production and Measurement of Ultra-High Vacuum, in Handbuch
der Physik 12, 609-663 (1958).
32. K Diels and R Jaeckel, Leybold Vakuum-Taschenbuch, Springer-Verlag,
Berlin, 1958, 1962.
33. R Jaeckel, General Vacuum Physics, in Handbuch der Physik 12, 515-608
34. R D Present, Kinetic Theory of Gases, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1958.
35. V S Danilin, Construction of Vacuum Systems, Gosenergoisdat, Moscow/Leningrad,
36. W Espe, Werkstoffkunde der Vakuumtechnik, Vols. 1, 2, VEB Deutscher
Verlag der Wissenschaften, Berlin, 1959.
37. M Knoll and B Kazan, Materials and Processes of Electron Devices,
Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1959.
38. B I Kusnetsov, Mechanical Vacuum Pumps, Gosenergoisdat, Moscow/Leningrad,
39. W H Kohl, Materials and Techniques for Electron Tubes, Reinhold Publishing
40. R Champeix, Physics and Techniques of Electron Tubes, Vol. I: Principles
of Vacuum Techniques, Pergamon Press, 1961.
41. J Delafosse and G Mongodin, Les Calculs de la Technique du Vide, La
Societe Francaise des Ingenieurs et Techniciens du Vide, Paris 1961.
42. G C Mšnch, Neues und Bewahrtes aus der Hochvakuumtechnik, Verlag
Technik, Berlin, 1961.
43. K G MŸller, Vakuumtechnische Berechnungsgrundlagen, Verlag Chemie
Gmbh, Weinheim/Bergstrasse, 1961.
44. M Pirani and J Yarwood, Principles of Vacuum Engineering, Chapman
and Hall, London, 1961.
45. S Dushman and J M Lafferty, Scientific Foundations of Vacuum Technique,
Wiley, New York, 1962, [Second Edition].
46. H L Eschbach, Praktikum der Hochvakuumtechnik, Akademische Verlagsgesellschaft,
47. W Pupp, Vacuum Technique, Handbook Series, Karl Thiemig KG, Munich,
Vol. 8, Fundamentals, 1962; Vol. 15, Applications, 1964.
48. A H Turnbull, et al, An Introduction to Vacuum Technique, Newnes,
London, 1962; Wiley, New York, 1963.
49. P A Redhead, J P Hobson, and E V Kornelsen, Ultrahigh Vacuum, in Advances
in Electronics and Electron Physics, Vol. 17, p. 323-431, ed. by L Marton,
Academic Press, 1962.
50. A E Barrington, High Vacuum Engineering, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey,
51. A Guthrie, Vacuum Technology, Wiley, New York, 1963.
52. R W Roberts and T A Vanderslice, Ultrahigh Vacuum and its Applications,
Prentice-Hall, Inc., New Jersey, 1963.
53. D J Santeler, D W Jones, D H Holkeboer and F Pagano, Vacuum Technology
and Space Simulation, NASA SP-105.
54. W S Spinks, Vacuum Technology, Chapman and Hall, 1963.
55. H Steinherz, Handbook of High Vacuum Engineering, Reinhold Publishing
56. E A Trendelenburg, Ultrahochvakuum, G Braun Verlag, Karlsruhe, 1963.
57. A H Beck, Handbook of Vacuum Physics, Pergamon Press, Oxford, distributed
in USA by Macmillan, 1964; Vol. 1 (Gases and Vacua); Vol. 2 (Physical
Electronics); Vol. 3 (Technology).
58. W F Brunner and T H Batzer, Practical Vacuum Technique, Reinhold Publishing
Corp., New York, 1965.
59. M Knoll and J Eichmeier, Technical Electronics, Vol. 1, Fundamentals
and Vacuum Technique, (in German), Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1965).
60. G Lewin, Fundamentals of Vacuum Science and Technology, McGraw-Hill,
New York, 1965.
61. F Rosebury, Handbook of Electron Tube and Vacuum Techniques, Addison
62. C M Van Atta, Vacuum Science and Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York,
63. M Wutz, et al, Theorie und Praxis der Vakuumtechnik, Friedr. Vieweg
und Sohn, Braunschweig, 1965. [Revised and expanded second edition, 1982].
64. K Diels and R Jaeckel, Leybold Vacuum Handbook, Pergamon Press, 1966.
65. W Espe, Materials of High Vacuum Technology, Pergamon Press; Vol.
1 (Metals), 1966; Vol. 2 (Silicates), 1968; Vol. 3 (Auxiliary Materials),
66. B D Power, High Vacuum Pumping Equipment, Chapman and Hall, London,
67. A Roth, Vacuum Sealing Techniques, Pergamon Press, 1966.
68. D J Santeler, et al., Vacuum Technology and Space Simulation, Scientific
and Technical Information Division, National Aeronautics and Space Administration,
69. L Ward and J P Bunn, Introduction to Theory and Practice of High Vacuum
Technology, Butterworths, London, 1967.
70. D H Holkeboer et al, Vacuum Engineering, Boston Technical Publishers
Inc., Cambridge Mass., 1967.
71. W H Kohl, Handbook of Materials and Techniques for Vacuum Devices,
Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York, 1967.
72. Y N Lyubitov, Molecular Flow in Vessels, Consultants Bureau, New York,
1967. [Original Russian version 1964].
73. J Yarwood, High Vacuum Technique, Chapman and Hall, London, 1967;
[Fourth Revised Edition].
74. A H Beck, Handbook of Vacuum Physics, Vol. 2, parts 4-6, Pergamon
75. N T M Dennis and T A Heppell, Vacuum System Design, Chapman and Hall,
76. G W Green, The Design and Construction of Small Vacuum Systems, Barnes
and Noble, New York, 1968.
77. P A Redhead, J P Hobson and E V Kornelsen, The Physical Basis of Ultra-high
Vacuum, Barnes and Noble, New York, 1968.
78. N W Robinson, The Physical Principles of Ultrahigh Vacuum Systems
and Equipment, Barnes and Noble, New York, 1968.
79. G L Saksaganskii (Ed) Ultrahigh Vacuum Physics and Technology, Mashinostroenie,
80. F Weber, Dictionary of High Vacuum Science and Technology, American
Elsevier Publishing Co., New York, 1968.
81. L G Carpenter, Vacuum Technology, American Elsevier Publishing Co.,
New York; Adam Hilger Ltd, London, 1970 [First Edition]; 1983 [Second
82. L I Maissel and R Glang, Handbook of Thin Film Technology, McGraw-Hill,
New York, 1970.
83. M AŸwarter, Ergebnisse der Hochvakuumtechnik und der Physik dŸnner
Schichten, Band II, Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschaft MBH, Stuttgart,
84. K Hurrle, F M Jablonski and H Roth, Technical Dictionary of Vacuum
Physics and Vacuum Technology, Pergamon, 1972.
85. R R LaPelle, Practical Vacuum Systems, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1972.
86. – Vacuum Technology: Its Foundations, Formulae and Tables, Leybold-Heraeus
Vacuum Products, Inc., Export, Pennsylvania, 1972.
87. – American Vacuum Society Education Committee, Experimental Vacuum
Science and Technology, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 1973.
88. L Holland, W Steckelmacher and J Yarwood, Vacuum Manual, Halsted Press,
(division of J Wiley and Sons), New York, 1974.
89. L N Rozanov, Vacuum Machines and Devices, Mashinostroenie, Leningrad,
90. N V Cherepnin, Treatment of Materials for Use in High Vacuum, Ordentlich,
91. A Roth, Vacuum Technology, North-Holland, 1976 [First Edition]; 1982
[Second Edition]; 1990 [Third Edition].
92. N S Harris, Vacuum Engineering, AUEW, Richmond, Surrey, 1977.
93. G L Saksaganskii, Fundamentals of Vacuum Equipment Design and Calculations,
Mashinostroenie, Moscow, 1978.
94. G L Weissler and R W Carlson, Vacuum Physics and Technology, Vol.
14 of Methods of Experimental Physics, Academic Press, 1979.
95. J F O‰Hanlon, A User‰s Guide to Vacuum Technology, Wiley,
New York, 1980.
96. G L Saksagansky, Molecular Flow in Complex Vacuum Structures, Atomizdat,
Moscow, 1980 [Translated version published by Gordon & Breech, New
97. R A Haefer, Kryo-Vakuumtechnik, Springer, New York, 1981.
98. M Wutz, H Adam and W Walcher, Theorie and Praxis der Vakuumtechnik,
F Vieweg and Son, Braunschweig, 1982. [Second Edition].
99. R V Stuart, Vacuum Technology, Thin Films and Sputtering, Academic
100. Gao Ben-hui and Cui Su-jan, Vacuum Physics, Science Press, Beijing,
1983, (in Chinese). See review by J Yarwood, Vacuum 34(7), pp. 713-715,
101. T E Madey and W C Brown, History of Vacuum Science and Technology,
AVS/AIP, New York, 1984.
102. A Berman, Total Pressure Measurements in Vacuum Technology, Academic
Press, New York, 1985.
103. A A Glaskov and G L Saksagansky, Vacuum in Electrophysical Installations
and Systems, Energoatomizdat, Moscow, 1985 (in Russian).
104. G F Weston, Ultrahigh Vacuum Practice, Butterworths, London, 1985.
105. – Basic Vacuum Practice, Varian Associates, Palo Alto, 1986.
106. J C Maxwell (edited by E Garber, et al), Maxwell on Molecules and
Gases, M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, MA (19860.
107. P Duval, High Vacuum Production in the Microelectronics Industry,
108. G L Saksaganskii, Molecular Flow in Complex Vacuum Systems, Gordon
and Breach, NY, 1988. (Translated from 1980 Russian version).
109. M Wutz, H Adam and W Walcher, Theorie und Praxis der Vakuumtechnik,
F Vieweg and Son, Braunschweig, 1988. [Fourth Edition]. Previous editions
1965, 1982, 1986.
110. Anon., Basic Vacuum Practice (Second Edition), Varian Associates,
Palo Alto, 1989.
111. A Chambers, R K Fitch and B S Halliday, Basic Vacuum Technology,
Adam Hilger, 1989.
112. N Harris, Modern Vacuum Practice, McGraw-Hill, 1989.
113. J H Leck, Total and Partial Pressure Measurement in Vacuum Systems,
114. J F O‰Hanlon, A User’s Guide to Vacuum Technology, (Second
Edition), John Wiley and Sons, 1989.
115. P H Plesch, High Vacuum Techniques for Chemical Syntheses and Measurements,
Cambridge University Press, 1989.
116. E P Th M Suurmeijer and J Verhoeven, Vacuumtechniek, Netherlands
Vacuum Society, 1989.
117. M Wutz, H Adam, and W Walcher, Theory and Practice of Vacuum Technology,
F Vieweg and Son, 1989; marketed by Wiley, Translation by W Steckelmacher
of Fourth German Edition.
118. R A Haefer, Cryopumping: Theory and Practice, (1990).
119. M H Hablanian, High Vacuum Technology – A Practical Guide, Marcel
120. L N Rozanov, Vacuum Technique, Second Edition, Vyschaya Shkola, Moscow,
1990 (In Russian).
121. D J Hucknall, Vacuum Technology and Applications, Butterworth Heinemann,
122. K.M. Welch, Capture Pumping Technology, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1991
123. A Berman, Vacuum Engineering Calculations, Formulas and Solved Exercises,
Academic Press, New York, 1992.
124. V.V. Kuzmin, Vacuum measurements, Standards Publishing, Moscow, 1992
125. T A Delchar, Vacuum Physics and Techniques, Chapman and Hall, London,
126. G L Saksaganskii, Getter and Getter Ion Vacuum Pumps, Harwood Academic
Publishers, Basel, Switzerland, 1994.
127.O. von Guericke, (translated and edited by M.G.F. Ames), The New (so-called)
magdeburg Experiments of Otto von Guericke, Kluwer Academic Publishers,
Dordrecht, 1994. First English translation of von Guericke’s 1672 book.
128. H. Adam, H.K. Hartmann, and W. Schwarz, Vakuumtechnik Aufgabensammlung:Aufgaben,
Losungshinweise, Ergebnisse, Vieweg, Wiesbaden, 1996. [Problems and solutions
manual to accompany #117]
129. D.M. Hoffman, B. Singh, and J.H. Thomas III (eds), Handbook of Vacuum
Science and Technology, Academic press, 1998.
130. J.M. Lafferty (ed), Foundations of Vacuum Science and Technology,
John Wiley and Sons Inc,. New York, 1998.
131. C. Edelmann, Vakuumphsik: Grundlagen, Vakuumerzeugung und -messung,
Anwendungen, Spektrum Akademischer Veralg GmbH Heidelberg/Berlin, 1998.
132. K.M. Welch, "Captive Pumping Technology’," (Second revised
edition), Elsevier Science B.V. 2001.
133. L.N. Rozanov, "Vacuum Technique," (translated and edited
by M.H. Hablanian), Taylor and Francis, 2002.
134. H.G. Tompkins, "Vacuum Technology: A Beginning," AVS Education
Committee Book Series, 2002.
135. J.F. O’Hanlon, "A User’s Guide to Vacuum Technology;’ (Third
edition), John Wiley & Sons, 2003. Expanded and revised.
136. D.A. Da, "Vacuum Design Handbook," (in Chinese). Update
of 1995 edition; scheduled for 2003.
TEXTBOOKS ON VACUUM SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, part 2
Papin, New Experiments in Vacuum, about 1677+ (in German) (A).
P Gasparis Schotti, Technica Curiosa, Vol. 12, 2nd Ed., 1687 (A).
O von Guericke, Experimenta Nova (ut Vocantur) Magdeburgica de Vacuo Spatio, J Jansson, Amsterdam 1672.
G W A Kahlbaum, Studien Ã¼ber Dampfspann Kraftsmessungen in Gemeinschaft, Schwabe, Basel, 1893 (P).
A: AVS Archives, P: Penn State Rare Books Room
TEXTBOOKS ON VACUUM SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, part 3
NBS Monograph 35 (1963) and Supplement I (1960-65), Bibliography and Index on Low-Pressure Measurement.
AVS Education Committee – Book Bibliography – Revised, 1981-printed 1984.